Queensland camping closed to slow spread of coronavirus
Queensland has shut down all camping in state forests and national parks as more and more stringent measures are put in place to assist in curbing the COVID-19 outbreak.
All Queensland camping in national parks, state forests and recreation areas has been shut down by the Queensland government in a press conference held today by Queensland Premier, Annastacia Palaszczuk. In her address, the Premier said the State borders will be closed and that “… if you don’t need to come into Queensland, please do not come to Queensland”.
We’re seeking more details on the specifics of the closures, however at this stage, it appears the closures are State-wide and are in full effect from now. The closures will be in place until at least June 30, 2020.
Further to this, Unsealed 4X4 can confirm that Fraser Island has now also been closed off to camping, with all campgrounds on the island being closed. Fraser Island Towing, on its Facebook page has said those currently on the island will be asked to leave and to move back to the mainland by the end of Saturday. Residents of the island will be allowed to remain, however, they have stated that there will be no barges running, or food and fuel supplies for the short term.
Those who have already booked and paid for a camping trip will be contacted directly by Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service, to receive a refund.
Queensland is the first state, so far, to shut down camping, however the expectation is that this will be brought into effect around the rest of Australia in the coming days.