Father and son die in gas leak camping accident

ByWes WhitworthJanuary 28, 2020
1 MINUTE READ
Father and son die in gas leak camping accident

A father and his son have died in a camping accident on Wedge Island, north of Perth, that has been attributed to a gas leak in their tent.

A father and son have died in a tragic camping accident on Wedge Island, north of Perth, that has been attributed to a gas leak in their tent. The mother of the child remains in a critical condition after being flown to Royal Perth Hospital yesterday morning.

West Australian Police and emergency services rushed to the area just before 11am after receiving reports a child was not breathing on the beach, some 8km south of the island’s main access road on the mainland. Police and St John Ambulance paramedics attended and found the boy and his father had died. They found the woman nearby, “in need of urgent medical assistance,” as reported by WA Police.

The cause of the camping accident on Wedge Island has been attributed to a gas leak within a gas fridge they were using inside an enclosed tent. This tragedy serves as a timely reminder that you need to be very cautious when running gas appliances, both for the fuel gas used and also for the exhaust gas that is released in any confined place. Gas detectors are an invaluable way to help keep you and your loved ones safe.

Our sister publication, RV Daily, recently put together a feature gas detectors and their importance. You’ll find a full write up on gas detectors and safety in RV Daily here.

Get articles like this and more delivered to you every week. Simply join our Facebook page to talk about this article and subscribe to our newsletter for weekly updates (it’s free and filled with 4X4 goodness).