GWM Australia fires first shot announcing new Cannon Dual Cab 4X4 ute will start at just $33,990 driveaway!
Expect a huge shake up in the 4X4 ute market in Australia thanks to the imminent arrival of the new GWM Cannon Dual Cab 4X4 ute which will be priced from an ultra-competitive $33,990 driveaway when it goes on sale later this month.
GWM (formerly Great Wall Motors) Australia says the Ford Ranger-sized 4X4 ute will feature a 2.0-litre turbo-diesel engine mated to an eight-speed ZF automatic transmission, and it will come with extensive levels of standard equipment including safety features such as Lane Keep Assist, seven airbags and Autonomous Emergency Braking with pedestrian detection.
The GWM 4D20M 2.0L turbo-diesel engine makes a claimed 120kW of power and 400Nm of torque. Although GWM Australia says it won’t announce full specifications, features and pricing until mid-November, here’s what we know so far:
- There will be three dual-cab 4X4 model grades: the range-opening Cannon, mid-spec Cannon-L and range-topping Cannon-X.
- The Cannon is based on GWM’s P71 separate-chassis platform, which is also found under the Haval H9 4X4 wagon.
- In Australia the Cannon will have an independent strut-type front suspension and a live-axle rear with leaf springs.
- The Cannon will have a one-tonne payload and at least a 3000kg maximum braked towing capacity.
- The Cannon is around the same size as a Ford Ranger at 5410mm long, 1934mm wide and 1886mm high, and with a 3230mm wheelbase.
GWM Australia Head of Marketing Steve Maciver said, “We firmly believe that the new GWM Ute offers a compelling all round package that will make Australian buyers think differently about their next ute. The $33,990 entry price point for the 4X4 Dual Cab Cannon AT is quite exceptional given the high level of features buyers can expect.”
“We understand both the competitiveness and the opportunity in the ute segment and as such, it was important that we come in with a strong product offering and unbeatable value. The new GWM Ute firmly ticks those boxes and we expect to see increased customer interest in showrooms over the coming weeks.” he said.
GWM Australia says initial shipments of the Cannon Dual Cab 4X4 ute have already started arriving in Australia and the vehicles will soon start making their way to GWM dealers ahead of the ute’s Aussie launch.